Friday, August 5, 2011

Trying to be a Big Boy

Mainly Mommy is the one trying. . . sad, but true. Yesterday we (I) tried to start potty training. I'm generally of the opinion that he'll do it when he's ready, but I wanted to give Ell some motivation. The source of motivation? Jellybeans. Every 30 minutes a timer went off and he would sit for 3 minutes and get a jellybean or two. Brilliant, eh? I thought so. Turns out, not so much. Elliott was amenable, but nary a drop of urine hit the potty chair. Today I tried to repeat my brilliant idea, asking, "Elliott would you like to sit on the potty chair and get some jellybeans?"

"No. I don't."

And thus goes my brilliant plan.

Coming up? Moving to a Big Boy Bed (BBB). We have the prerequisite book, purchased the linens--Ell picked the pattern--and now to get the bed put together and try it out. I mean, I would be fine with him sleeping in a crib for the next 4 years or so, but I'm figuring that's not appropriate? I'm hoping to employ a form of bribery motivation a bit more effective than the jellybean-potty training plan. What do you think the time span for BBB success will be? I mean it has to happen at some point. Right?

No comments: