Sunday, October 14, 2012

Finding the Yes

Life as a three and a half year old is a study in hearing the word no.  A lot.  I read a blog post a while back about saying yes--to most everything.  Hogwash.  I think I've posted about this before.  I continue to find this  concept is a big ol' challenge.  I find that Elliott hears "no" as the big brother to a year and a half old sister and 6 week old brother far too often.  I am trying to stop and ask, "why not?" Not easy.  By a long shot.  I am le tired.  It seems as though every waking moment of their lives I am busy--running from one chore to another.  I want to say "no."  It is easier.  And honestly, that's what I say quite a bit.  However the result is a helluva lot of whining.  Which makes me bonkers.

Elliott has been asking repeatedly to make a cake.  Random.  BUT we managed it.  A lemonade cake straight from Pinterest.  For this moment, the no was conquered.  Seeing the joy at the end result was worth finding the time (and energy) to say "yes."

No comments: