Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bedrest Really Stinks. . .

So it turns out that my blood pressure was high at my last appointment (Thursday, 1/23) and the doctor told me that after work I had to lie down and rest.  My blood pressure was up from 115/70 to 130/80.  I was a good girl.  The only time I left the house was for Christina's shower (well worth it) and then went home and rested. 

I had to go back in on Monday morning for a blood pressure check and it was a little higher--142/82, but the nurse assured me that it wasn't significantly higher than Thursday's readings.  She also took my blood pressure while I was lying down at it immediately dropped to 122/60 (much closer to my norm).  I did not see the doctor, as he was in surgeries, but had a lengthy discussion with the nurse about induction and such.  She assured me that she would check with the doctor and call me that afternoon.  

Well, she called.  Turns out my doctor said I had to stop working immediately and be on bedrest.  Basically, I'm only supposed to be up to use the restroom and shower.  And she even went so far as to suggest taking a break between the shower and drying my hair.  Now I know this sounds like a dreamy life of luxury, something to revel in.  Ha.  As soon as someone says lay down and don't move, turns out that's what you want to do most!  It is nice to be resting, but I am getting soooooo stiff from sitting and laying around for hours on end! 

That was the first part of the conversation with Nurse Marla.  The second portion is that my induction is scheduled for Monday morning (February 2nd) at 6am.  I had hoped to avoid an induction, but beyond wanting to avoid an induction I would like to avoid a c-section unless absolutely necessary.  I was afraid that if my blood pressure climbed higher, leaving me with the official pre-eclampsia diagnosis, that I would end up in the operating room!  Yikes.  So now we are on course to meet Mr. Elliott Monday, on my actual due date!  Of course, this is all barring that he shows up on his own before then. . . I'm not holding my breath on that one, becasue without any movement I have a feeling he's awfully cozy inside.. . .

3 comments:

EMAAC said...

With my 1st my bp went up about 5 days before I went into labor. Hopefully the same will be true for you too otherwise petocin=epidural.

The Garrett Family said...

I'll be praying for you guys Courtney, that everything will go great. I was induced with Adam, and it was fine. I got that epidural that I missed out on with Sarah. So, from my experience, being induced was the way to go!! Anyway, we are all so very excited to meet that sweet baby boy!!

House of Huckaby said...

Courtney~

We will saying a little prayer that you and baby elliott have an easy labor. Jenny had her baby on her due date whcic is really cool. We can't wait to see pictures! you are going to be an amazing mother!! Best of luck!