Friday, March 16, 2012

It Takes a Village (Why Mommy Sickness is BAD)

This week I was Sick.  I used that capital for a reason.  I missed four days of work.  Four.  That has never happened for sickness before.  What I thought was a springtime cold/sinus infection combo turned out to be strep.  Strep throat without the sore throat.  I broke down and went to the doc-in-a-box after two days of feeling like general ass and resting and not getting any better at all.  When the peppy nurse asked if I wanted a strep test in conjunction with the flu swab, I shrugged--it really seemed unnecessary.  She also asked what my pain level was on that stupid scale.  I had no idea how to answer, even after looking at the smiley faces that then turn sad.  I felt like crap, but I didn't correlate that to being in pain.  Is that dumb?  And really, did my answer make a difference?  I wasn't having crippling stomach pain, suspected strain or broken bone or even a migraine.

Being sick as a mommy is no fun a'tall.  Not that being sick is fun in the best of circumstances, but still having to get up and get other people dressed, make bottles, feed small people and wipe hineys just seems cruel.  I know I'm whiny.  It's a good thing I have a husband who is a nurturer and a mom who generously agreed to help me on her Spring Break.  It takes a village, people.  Especially when a mommy is a whiny sick mess.

No comments: